Today, I want to share with you Best Soft Practices to shine in technical fields. A few years ago, I attended a talk with Dianne Chong, Ph.D. – Vice President of Materials, Manufacturing, Structures & Support at the Boeing Company.
The speech was mainly focused on helping young women enter and stay long-term in technical fields that are mostly dominated by men. After the lecture, I got the feeling that her advice is universal, and everybody can learn from it. In this post, I’d like to share with you the main points that I’ve learned from the talk.
- Be the best technical person that you can be
- Stay current (see my previous post on how I try to stay current)
- Understand the culture of your company and industry
- Utilize resources and networks
- Develop emotional resilience (understand techniques to relax)
- Be a good team player (the best solution comes from teams)
- Communicate well (in person and in writing)
- Know yourself (especially your strengths, but also weaknesses)
- Maintain work-life balance
- Take care of yourself (physically and mentally)
You can learn more about this amazing and smart woman here.
I’m happy that I was able to attend her lecture, and I hope you found something interesting in this post.